You are not connected. Please login or register

» Serious » Film Thread

Film Thread

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 39 of 40]

951 Re: Film Thread on Wed May 16, 2012 12:45 am

SQUIGGLES

The 7th Wonder of the World
Buying Scrubs on DVD was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Definitely in, like, the top one hundred decisions.
Final season is awful though, complete waste.

I bet the cast are all exactly like their characters in real life.

View user profile

952 Re: Film Thread on Wed May 16, 2012 1:32 am

Jonny

Prince of the Squirtle Squad
I tried to get into it but I just couldn't. JD and Turk irritate the crap out of me.

View user profile

953 Re: Film Thread on Wed May 16, 2012 2:29 am

SQUIGGLES

Sarah Chalke makes it for me.
She's so pretty I would hold her hand in a public place.

View user profile

954 Re: Film Thread on Wed May 16, 2012 2:45 am

Jonny

That is adorable.

View user profile

955 Re: Film Thread on Wed May 16, 2012 12:34 pm

Fern Gully would be an even better movie if it wasn't so dang envormentalist. Good songs, excelent animation and voice acting, but they should had just dropped that whole "we shouldn't cut down the rainforest and shouldn't experiment on animals" moral and demonizing lumberjacks and scientists.

View user profile

956 Re: Film Thread on Wed May 16, 2012 3:45 pm

Hollyღ

Dove in the Moonlight
They weren't demoralizing lumberjacks and scientists, they were demoralizing CORRUPT lumberjacks and scientists. Unfortunately there are lumberjacks who destroy priceless forests and scientists who cruelly experiment animals in the name of 'science'. If you saw Batty's flashbacks, they weren't doing humane testing. They were, in laymens terms, torturing him because they could. They weren't showing the kind of legalized animal testing you'd see today, where the animals are comfortable and provided specialized care and saying it was bad. They weren't showing lumberjacks following laws and being conscience about the environment and saying it was bad. They were showing two very corrupt people and saying they were bad.

Yes, the movie was highly preachy and showed the darker side of two professions, but I'd rather children learn the truths of life then pretend everyone and everything is fine and there are no evil in the world. That's why kids nowadays are so damn pathetic and whiny. They were raised thinking the world is faeries and unicorns and that they are special snowflakes when neither is true.

View user profile

957 Re: Film Thread on Wed May 16, 2012 3:54 pm

Lady Rare wrote:That's why kids nowadays are so damn pathetic and whiny. They were raised thinking the world is faeries and unicorns and that they are special snowflakes when neither is true.

Hah, I wish. Kids nowadays are raised by their precious Xbox 360 and their Call of Duty.

View user profile

958 Re: Film Thread on Thu May 17, 2012 3:04 pm

SQUIGGLES

I played CoD once at a friend's house. It was okay. I wasn't a fan of the multiplayer, everyone is so rude.

Has anyone seen that new one with Kirsten Dunst? Euphoria or Melancholia or something.
It sounds good.

View user profile

959 Re: Film Thread on Fri May 25, 2012 6:02 pm

So I saw most Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Yes, I know it's a stupid, stupid movie, but for some reason, I am compelled to watch stupid, stupid movies as long as they're actiony enough.
So here's my take on it. Check it out on Wikipedia if you want an actual plot summary.
Spoilers abound.

Spoiler:
First off, I'm not going to be really in depth on issues regarding biological or genetic innaccuracies, even though I'm sure that there were many. Those are easier for me to suspend my disbelief with, so I tend to let them slide.

Now, I started watching around the point that the main ape, Caesar, was still a young monkey, and it was being explained that his mother was given the genetic 112 thingy to make her smarter along with a whole bunch of other apes before something went wrong and they all had to be put down, so keep in mind that I have not seen the very beginning of the film and take this review with a grain of salt.

Also the motion-capture of the apes didn't really bug me either. It'd be kind of hard to shoot this thing with real apes anyway, and doing so would likely result in an actual takeover by all of them, so using Andy Serkis to jump around a lot in a special suit is really the best solution.

Now, onto the actual film itself, I was actually really enjoying the first half of it. It was going kind of slow, but things were still developing nicely. It was mostly when stuff started to get tragic and serious that I started having a problem with the film.

My first issue came with the asshole ape handler played by Tom Felton. I know that there are asshole zookeepers out there, and I know it drives the plot along, but dammit, why did they have to essentially get Draco Malfoy to do the job, really only changing him by taking away his magic, replacing "Hatred of mudbloods" to "hatred of apres" and then giving him an American accent? His sole purpose was to be a dick so that we didn't feel bad when he died, which I guess is reasonable for a film like this, but it still kind of bugs me.

In fact, one of the bigger issues I have with the film is that every other human character is a douche. Again, I realize that this is for us to gain sympathy with the apes, but killing/enslaving all of humanity because of the actions of a handful of people seems kind of unfair to the billions of people who had done no wrong to any apes ever.

Secondly, there's a scene where a guy gets accidentally sprayed with the drug that makes the apes smarter...and then this matter is largely ignored until he dies. Now, I don't care if it doesn't look like any adverse effects are plaguing him, if a drug that's still being tested gets sprayed on a human, they should be quarantining that guy up within minutes. But instead, he gets a disease from it that is eventually implied to be spread around throughout all of humanity, thining their numbers and making things easier for the apes. All because no one thought that a guy breathing in an experimental drug could be dangerous if no adverse effects showed up within the first few minutes. This was one of the film's more "Seriously, what the fuck guys?" moments.

Perhaps my biggest issue with the film though, was the implication that all of the apes from the sanctuary, after being made super smart, fighting across the bridge, and getting to the forest, somehow went on to raise the Apeshit Revolution (As I like to think history would call it) that led to the downfall of humanity. Now, that sanctuary didn't seem like it held even a hundred apes, and even though they were all extremely intelligent, that lack of numbers is a severe disadvantage. As soon as the government got word that a small army of super intelligent apes broke out of a sanctuary, had killed several people, fought through a SWAT Team, were using makeshift weapons, and had a leader who could fucking talk, they would immediatley lock down every zoo ever, and then burn the forest that the apes got into to the ground. Super intelligence won't exactly help an ape if he's coated with napalm from a jet speeding overhead. Maybe the government would try to take one or two alive to dissect, but their primary objective would be to burn everything until you could smell charred chimp from miles away. There is no way that the Apeshit Revolution should have succeeded if the government got involved early enough. Every nonintelligent ape in every zoo within the state would be put to sleep, and again, forests would be razed to the fucking ground.

Again, stupid movie, but hey, it was fun.

View user profile

960 Re: Film Thread on Fri May 25, 2012 6:10 pm

It wasn't THAT bad...

View user profile

961 Re: Film Thread on Fri May 25, 2012 7:43 pm

SQUIGGLES

Spoiler:
Dewmann wrote:Perhaps my biggest issue with the film though, was the implication that all of the apes from the sanctuary, after being made super smart, fighting across the bridge, and getting to the forest, somehow went on to raise the Apeshit Revolution (As I like to think history would call it) that led to the downfall of humanity. Now, that sanctuary didn't seem like it held even a hundred apes, and even though they were all extremely intelligent, that lack of numbers is a severe disadvantage. As soon as the government got word that a small army of super intelligent apes broke out of a sanctuary, had killed several people, fought through a SWAT Team, were using makeshift weapons, and had a leader who could fucking talk, they would immediatley lock down every zoo ever, and then burn the forest that the apes got into to the ground. Super intelligence won't exactly help an ape if he's coated with napalm from a jet speeding overhead. Maybe the government would try to take one or two alive to dissect, but their primary objective would be to burn everything until you could smell charred chimp from miles away. There is no way that the Apeshit Revolution should have succeeded if the government got involved early enough. Every nonintelligent ape in every zoo within the state would be put to sleep, and again, forests would be razed to the fucking ground.
I doubt the government would have done anything. How do you explain to someone in authority that there are hyper-intelligent apes running around and get taken seriously? They'd have to get video evidence as a minimum and if they wanted army support they'd have to get testimonials, documents, lab reports, &c. from the company who were involved with the apes. That's hard enough because James Franco's character was pretty much the head of that and he wouldn't cooperate, because he doesn't want the apes to be killed, and, aside from the fact he did most of his research outside the lab, he's probably got a few coworkers in his pocket which just gives more hurdles for the government investigators to jump over.

While that would all be going on, the virus is spreading over the planet and people are losing their shit. I imagine it would be a lot like a less organised Contagion, at this point. The virus kills, like, what, 98% of the human population all up? With something that serious going on I don't think that any real government would send out any resources to deal with a crazy story about smart monkeys when they would do a much better service as peacekeepers.

There are plenty of stray-ends in the Planet of the Apes series but I don't think this one is too far of a stretch.
WHOOPS ALMOST FORGOT SPOILERS

View user profile

962 Re: Film Thread on Sat May 26, 2012 3:46 am

Hollyღ

Dove in the Moonlight
I can't help but think I read this discussion on Cracked before..

View user profile

963 Re: Film Thread on Sat May 26, 2012 3:03 pm

Spoiler:
I did like Caesar's characterization though. He ends up disgusted with humanity as a whole, but still loves his family.
Yes, the character development of a chimp was my favorite part of the movie.

View user profile

964 Re: Film Thread on Wed May 30, 2012 12:45 am

SQUIGGLES

I finally got around to watching Underworld Awakening. Gosh, I enjoyed the shit out of this movie. The finer points of the story were obviously written by a yam but Kate Beckinsale just makes it; really, if it wasn't for her no-one would watch these movies. It's primarily because she's outrageously gorgeous but she's also a great actress. I'm probably going to cop it for this, but the Underworld series is probably one of my favourite movie series.

I would not recommend this movie to anyone with epilepsy; there are so many flashing lights that they would probably actually die.

Also, 10 minutes of credits, come on, that is ridiculous.

HAS ANYONE ELSE SEEN IT
I WOULD LIKE TO DISCUSS IT

View user profile

965 Re: Film Thread on Wed May 30, 2012 3:29 am

You forgot to mention the ridiculous amount of leather she wears throughout every single film.

View user profile

966 Re: Film Thread on Wed May 30, 2012 6:54 am

Hollyღ

Dove in the Moonlight
Taiju wrote:You forgot to mention the ridiculous amount of leather she wears throughout every single film.

You mean there's more to the Underworld series besides her leather outfits?!

View user profile

967 Re: Film Thread on Wed May 30, 2012 9:25 am

Rare ♥ wrote:
Taiju wrote:You forgot to mention the ridiculous amount of leather she wears throughout every single film.

You mean there's more to the Underworld series besides her leather outfits?!

I know! I was just as surprised as you!

View user profile

968 Re: Film Thread on Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:41 pm

SQUIGGLES

I have now seen Blade Runner; it was okay. I really liked the setting and the whole premise but the way it was all put together could have been better. I think the whole thing with DeckerxRachel needed to be cut completely. There was not enough time in the movie for that to be played out well enough; if they made the movie longer and expanded it it would have been better. Would have liked to see more Roy and less Decker, overall. I can see how Blade Runner was such a huge influence for so many things but I don't think that, in itself, it was exceptional.

and oH MY GOSH I kept having Witness flashbacks every time Harrison Ford said "Rachel". Such a distraction.

View user profile

969 Re: Film Thread on Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:08 am

Did you see the version with the weird, stilted narration? If you did, then find the other version, it's way better.

View user profile

970 Re: Film Thread on Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:15 am

Gorgro

Glorious Leader
The thing about Blade Runner is that there's this big controversy about Deckard being a replicant or not, even with different versions of the film suggesting different interpretations if you really look for them.

View user profile http://treehouse.justforum.net

971 Re: Film Thread on Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:53 am

I'm pretty sure the one meant to be taken as canon is that doesn't have the narration and also doesn't have a
(lolspoilers)

Spoiler:
happy ending.

View user profile

972 Re: Film Thread on Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:05 am

Jonny

Just finished Watching POTC: Dead Man's Chest. I know a lot of people don't like them but I really do: I love the swashbuckling action and world of magic and legend it inhabits.

View user profile

973 Re: Film Thread on Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:31 am

Jonny wrote:Just finished Watching POTC: Dead Man's Chest. I know a lot of people don't like them but I really do: I love the swashbuckling action and world of magic and legend it inhabits.

Dead Man's Chest was my personal favorite out of the PotC series.

Also, imagine what it would be like if they cast anyone besides Johnny Depp to play Sparrow. He really set the tone to be serious at some times then funny as hell the rest of the time.

View user profile

974 Re: Film Thread on Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:49 am

Gorgro

Glorious Leader
I thought he lost all pretence of seriousness by Dead Man's Chest. There was at least some mystery and possibility to expand the character a bit in the first one, but then they just made it more and more so he'd be just the comic relief character and nothing else.

View user profile http://treehouse.justforum.net

975 Re: Film Thread on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:15 am

JT_the_Ninja

Ninjafleet Captain
My favourite of the PotC movies has to be On Stranger Tides...mostly because no Legolas or Decoy Amidala.

What? Of course I've seen those films. Gotta study the enemy. []

View user profile http://www.jttheninja.com

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 39 of 40]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

» Serious » Film Thread

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum