You are not connected. Please login or register

» Serious » Film Thread

Film Thread

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 24  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 24]

51 Re: Film Thread on Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:48 am

Jonny

Prince of the Squirtle Squad
He's like Ebert, but with more shouting!

I just watched this trailer. I really need to read the book it's based off.

View user profile

52 Re: Film Thread on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:39 am

JT_the_Ninja

Ninjafleet Captain
What's with the LotR music in this trailer? It's not like Peter Jackson's directing it or anything...

[]

View user profile http://www.jttheninja.com

53 Re: Film Thread on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:07 pm

So, I went and saw Brave yesterday.

Holy fuck Pixar is good.

View user profile

54 Re: Film Thread on Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:16 am

I saw the Expendables 2. I probably don't need to mention this, but, don't see it if you want a good plot, or are looking for a realistic movie.

I would say it ties with Abe Lincolin Vampire Slayer as best stupid cheesy awesome kickass action movie of the year.

(Not counting the Avengers. That wasn't cheesy or stupid. It was just 100% pure fuck yes.)

View user profile

55 Re: Film Thread on Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:40 am

Jonny

Well, I know what I'm getting for Christmas next year.

I really like the way they've interpreted the characters in this film. I'm not sure if the trailer doesn't make it look a bit cheesy, but Father Christmas in particular is great. He's not some jolly, laughing, pure figure (although that interpretation obviously has its merits) but he's hardened and mature and reliable. He has a job to do and he's damn well going to see it out...for the children.

View user profile

56 Re: Film Thread on Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:07 pm

SQUIGGLES

The 7th Wonder of the World
I bought Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland on DVD; not a fantastic decision.
Not sure why I rated it so highly when I saw it in the cinema.
It's like a 6/10, I can't even.

Has anyone seen The Road? I got that too but I haven't had the inclination to watch it yet.
Viggo Mortensen is da sex, dough
I might watch it this afternoon.

View user profile

57 Re: Film Thread on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:48 am

Jonny

I've watched about half of The Road. I got pretty bored with it, so I can't really give it a glowing recommendation. I don't think it's necessarily a bad film, however.

I agree with you on Alice in Wonderland. I find Helena Bonham Carter a bit irritating, sometimes, although I liked the White Queen and I thought Alice's portrayal was excellent. But on the whole I don't see why it had to be a battle movie, the dance at the end was cringeworthy and it just felt, on the whole, a bit naff. I haven't seen it in a while so I can't really give you a better breakdown of the film offhand.

Also, I watched Atlantis: The Lost Empire today. I spotted it in the TV listings and thought I'd watch it: I liked the visual design, and I'm glad they didn't have any songs in it. But I also felt the music in general was a little forgettable and the plot a little convoluted. Moreover, it's the sort of film where everyone talks really fast and things whip along really quickly and the whole thing just feels undernourished as a result.

I think it would have worked better as a film if it had been allowed to breathe a bit more and they'd ironed out the kinks in the plot. But I still say watch it if you're interested because it's not a bad romp to watch.

View user profile

58 Re: Film Thread on Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:52 pm

SQUIGGLES

The 7th Wonder of the World
Watched The Road last night, was super disappointed. I was really hoping it was going to be one of those unspoken gems. Viggo Mortensen did well, but overall it was average.

I despise Kodi Smit-McPhee's portrayal. That is all I will say on him.

I was particularly annoyed with the music; it was arranged awfully. I am certain that I saw "Nick Cave" in the music credits and that hurt me. The music was intrusive and did not match the scenes. I did not like the whole 'uplifting' theme that seemed to be going on.

I was so
enraged
by this film that I almost turned it off halfway through. That is the most insulting thing I can think of, to a film. It got a little better toward the end but I would not recommend. I am trying to think of moments in the film I liked, but it's hard. There was that moment, near the start, where The Man looked at the screen and I thought that was a brilliant shot. Robert Duvall's piece was commendable. The supporting actors, bar Cherise, all did fantastically up until the end, which felt so forced. I am not sure if I judged this film so harshly because I rated the book so highly but the movie just did so many things the way I would not have done them.

I may watch it again, just to see if it grows on me.

View user profile

59 Re: Film Thread on Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:15 pm

I may be thinking of the wrong movie, but I heard the Road was made entirely of sad.

View user profile

60 Re: Film Thread on Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:10 pm

I went out last night with a few friends, and we went to go see "Ted." It was a funny movie, and it's the first time in a while I've genuinely laughed that hard. The humor was crude at most parts, but thankfully I like crude humor. The story behind it was pretty good too.

View user profile

61 Re: Film Thread on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:44 pm

Taiju wrote:I went out last night with a few friends, and we went to go see "Ted." It was a funny movie, and it's the first time in a while I've genuinely laughed that hard. The humor was crude at most parts, but thankfully I like crude humor. The story behind it was pretty good too.

Really? From the previews I thought it looked like another one of those countless stupid, unoriginal comedies.

View user profile

62 Re: Film Thread on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:08 pm

Nope. It was a pretty original story, at least I thought so. Considering Seth MacFarlane (You know, the man who created Family Guy?) wrote and directed it. He also voices Ted, and he even mo-capped all of Ted's movements.

Here's the full story (spoilered for if you wanna be surprised when you watch the movie):
Spoiler:
In 1985, in a suburb south of Boston, John Bennett (Bretton Manley) is a lonely kid, who dearly wished for his new Christmas gift, a large teddy bear he names Teddy ("Ted"), to come to life to be his best friend. The wish succeeds with a falling star and Ted (Zane Cowans) became a fully mobile sentient being. John's parents Joe (Ralph Garman) and Gina (Alex Borstein) got over the shock, word of the mareacle spread, and Ted was briefly a celebrity.

In 2012, John (Mark Wahlberg) and Ted (voiced and motion captured by Seth MacFarlane), now living in the South End neighborhood of Boston, are still staunch, if immature, friends enjoying a hedonistic life, even while John is pursuing a 4-year-long relationship with a level-headed office worker named Lori Collins (Mila Kunis). As the 4th anniversary of their relationship approaches, Lori hopes to marry John, but she feels that he can't move ahead with his life with Ted around, who's now a dirty, vulgar, obnoxious wastrel. John is resistant to kicking Ted out, but he is finally persuaded that night to act when he and Lori discover Ted at home with four prostitutes, one of whom has defecated on the floor during a game of Truth or Dare.

Soon, John finds Ted his own apartment and a job at a grocery store, where his grossly irresponsible behavior on the job manages to get him both promoted and acquainted with the superficial co-worker Tami-Lynn (Jessica Barth). Ted and John still spend most of their time together, which frustrates and irritates Lori when she discovers John has been skipping work to do so while using her for his excuses. Meanwhile, an obsessed stalker named Donny (Giovanni Ribisi), who idolized Ted as a kid, shows interest in possessing him for his brutishly destructive son Robert (Aedin Mincks). Things start to come to a head when Lori and John are invited to a party put on by Lori's lecherous manager Rex (Joel McHale), who has a crush on her against John, who wishes he would die from Lou Gehrig's disease; but Ted lures John away to a wild party at his apartment with the offer to meet Sam Jones (playing himself), the star of their favorite movie Flash Gordon. Although John arrives with the intention of spending only a few minutes, he gets caught up in the occasion which gets completely out of control, with Sam persuading John and Ted to snort cocaine with him and Ted singing karaoke. Eventually, Lori discovers John there and breaks up with him in a rage. At that, John blames Ted for ruining his life and tells him to stay away.

Eventually, Ted and John confront each other about their ruined friendship in John's hotel room and have a destructive brawl after John provokes Ted by saying he wished he got a Teddy Ruxpin instead of him, but soon manage to reconcile after the TV falls on John's crotch. To repair John's relationship with Lori, Ted arranges with an old lover named Norah Jones (playing herself) to help by having John express his love for Lori with a song during her concert, being held at the Hatch Shell. Although John's performance proves an embarrassment, Lori is touched by the attempt while repelled by Rex's sneering. Later, Ted goes to visit Lori at her apartment and explains that he was responsible for John's lapse; however, he offers to leave them alone forever if she goes to at least speak with him. Lori is persuaded, but moments after she leaves, Ted is kidnapped by Donny and taken to his house to function as Robert's victim.

Ted manages to distract Robert and reach a phone to contact John, but is soon recaptured. Realizing that Ted is in danger, John and Lori manage to find Donny's residence and chase him and Robert to rescue Ted. The chase leads to Fenway Park, where Robert tries to stop John and Lori from getting to Ted first, only to have John knock him out. During the chase, Ted gets himself damaged and just when Donny gets ahold of him on the tower, Ted falls onto the field, torn completely in half. A police car arrives, forcing Donny to flee. As John and Lori gather his stuffing, Ted relays his wish that John be happy with Lori, as the magic that gave him life fades away.

Unable to accept Ted's death, John and Lori return to her apartment to try to repair him, but it proves useless. That night, Lori wakes up and quietly makes a wish on a falling star. The next morning, Ted is magically restored and the trio fully reconcile with Ted, who encourages John and Lori to resume their relationship.

With that resolution, John and Lori are married and Ted comfortably accepts having a life of his own. One afternoon, Ted was caught behind the deli counter eating potato salad on Tami-Lynn's bare bottom and it got him somehow promoted to grocery store manager.

View user profile

63 Re: Film Thread on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:05 pm

Jonny

Guess what I watched tonight!

View user profile

64 Re: Film Thread on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:17 pm

Jonny wrote:Guess what I watched tonight!

Hogarth is, like, the worst name ever.

View user profile

65 Re: Film Thread on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:29 pm

I fucking love that movie, you have no idea.

View user profile

66 Re: Film Thread on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:29 pm

Jonny

Potential new name: Jonny Green Giant?

View user profile

67 Re: Film Thread on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Jonny wrote:Potential new name: Jonny Green Giant?

Well, that depends.... Are you a green giant?

View user profile

68 Re: Film Thread on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:58 pm

Jonny

I could be...

View user profile

69 Re: Film Thread on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:59 pm

Jonny wrote:I could be...

Don't lie to me Jonny.

View user profile

70 Re: Film Thread on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:05 pm

Jonny

No, it's...are you familiar with Green Giant sweetcorn?

View user profile

71 Re: Film Thread on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:13 pm

Jonny wrote:No, it's...are you familiar with Green Giant sweetcorn?

Unfortunately.

View user profile

72 Re: Film Thread on Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:51 pm

I SAW THE BIRDS AT MY LOCAL CINEMA LAST NIGHT YOU GUYS
ERMAHGERD, BERDS

View user profile

73 Re: Film Thread on Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:32 pm

FUN FACT: The Iron Giant is actually voiced by Vin Diesel.

Even though it's just grunts and broken words.

It's Vin Diesel.

View user profile

74 Re: Film Thread on Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:37 pm

I saw the Expendables 2!
VIOLENCE!

View user profile

75 Re: Film Thread on Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:08 pm

Taiju wrote:

FUN FACT: The Iron Giant is actually voiced by Vin Diesel.

Even though it's just grunts and broken words.

It's Vin Diesel.

Isn't that all he says normally?

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 24]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 24  Next

» Serious » Film Thread

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum