Everything's coming up Treehouse

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Science Thread

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Are people bugged by Scientific inaccuracy in movies?

73% 73% [ 11 ]
27% 27% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 15

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

26 Re: The Science Thread on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:43 pm

Hollyღ

Dove in the Moonlight
Meta-Science - every time you enter tall grass, a velociraptor appears somewhere in the world.

View user profile

27 Re: The Science Thread on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:44 pm

I thought it was a Pokemon!

View user profile

28 Re: The Science Thread on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:47 am

Here is the link to Kepler

Clicky!

View user profile

29 Re: The Science Thread on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:57 am

Gorgro

Glorious Leader

I posted this once already, but it fits here too.

View user profile http://treehouse.justforum.net

30 Re: The Science Thread on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:45 am

JT_the_Ninja

Ninjafleet Captain
The Sea of Science...

[]

View user profile http://www.jttheninja.com

31 Re: The Science Thread on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:57 am

Jonny

Prince of the Squirtle Squad
The Sea of Science is a turbulent and dangerous region. Watch out for the Sea of Monsters immediately next to it.

View user profile

32 Re: The Science Thread on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:47 am

JT_the_Ninja

Ninjafleet Captain
Let's not even get started on the Sea of Holes, or the Sea of Green...[]

33 Re: The Science Thread on Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:36 pm

Jonny

Prince of the Squirtle Squad
The Sea of Time takes forever to get through.

Goddamnit, why isn't Robert Zemeckis doing his remake of this anymore?

View user profile

34 Re: The Science Thread on Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:26 am

sorry to have to tell you this spooky

View user profile

35 Re: The Science Thread on Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:29 pm

I watched the newest Startrek movie for the second time... I like it, but the scientist in me wanted to scream at some parts.
Don't read this if you haven't watched it yet, because this has massive spoilers.
Spoiler:
The black hole at the end should have been much, much larger. One drop of red matter was enough to make a black hole as big as a planet, and that mass of red matter was lots and lots and lots and lots of drops. Now, there is a theory that there is a black hole at the center of our galaxy. If this is true, that black hole is massive. It would have to have mroe than equal mass of all of the matter in our galaxy in order to hold it togather. While dark matter is unimagionably dense, it would still have to be pretty big. How does this relate you ask? Well, if one drop of red matter is enough to create a black hole the size of a planet like Vulcan, than what would countless ones make? With out a general idea of how much volume the blob had in comparision to the drop, I can't say exactly sure. But I'm sure it would be able to rival the black hole in the center of the galaxy. I can not imagine the horrify results of those two gravational fields comeing togather and all of the of other things that will happen with the presence of the other black hole. I don't even know enough about the positions of all of celestial bodys beond our solor system to have a clue about all of what will be effected, but I know one thing for sure, our solar system and all nearby ones would be whipped off the face of the universe. That gavitation would pull everything in the system into it while crushing it at the same time. Earth and all life on it would be gone in an instant. Let's be glad that this will never, ever happen to anyone, at least for a very, very, long time.
I'm a geeky nerd and I'm pround of it.

View user profile

36 Re: The Science Thread on Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:43 pm

Or, it could happen tomorrow. Damn space, you scary!

View user profile

37 Re: The Science Thread on Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:11 pm

I wouldn't say space is scary...but what is in space is capable of erasing any trace of human existance (and other unknown lifeforms out there)

View user profile

38 Re: The Science Thread on Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:46 pm

...... What is scary if not that!?!?

View user profile

39 Re: The Science Thread on Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:52 pm

Cheese. Everyone is at least a little bit afraid of cheese.

View user profile

40 Re: The Science Thread on Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:40 am

JT_the_Ninja

Ninjafleet Captain
@Katls:

Spoiler:

Technically, black holes have no size. Infinite mass, but no size. According to the prevailing theories about how they would work, there is the event horizon, which depending on mass can be quite far away from the center indeed), and then there's nothing, and then there's the center. All that mass, collapsed into a single point, because the gravitational forces have outweighed the forces keeping molecular particles separate.

As to why even a small drop could destroy Vulcan, remember that it went right into the core of the planet and then started gobbling. The matter at the center went first, then pulled down the matter above it, and so on. Even if the event horizon were small, it could still in this way devour a much more massive planet. Plus, as more mass was added to the singularity, the event horizon would have increased.

Then again, "red matter" is just another word for applied phlebotinum in this case...it's never completely explained as to what it is or how it works. It could just be a catalyst that collapses whatever matter happens to be around it (somehow?), or perhaps it exists in more dimensions than space-time and a charge disrupts it along a dimensional axis, causing a spacial rift, or it could just be that the script said so...

It's cool to be a geek here. You're among friends. []

41 Re: The Science Thread on Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:01 pm

Bowen wrote:Cheese. Everyone is at least a little bit afraid of cheese.
not me I eat cheese way too much to be afraid of it

View user profile

42 Re: The Science Thread on Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:17 pm

I can never be afriad of things I have eaten...

View user profile

43 Re: The Science Thread on Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:30 pm

Top Hat Zebra wrote:Or, it could happen tomorrow. Damn space, you scary!
Spoiler:
Well, not under the cercmstances that the movie provides. A black hole is the result of one of the possible deaths of a star, so it wouldn't be in the middle of the solar system. But it would be worse if it did happen at the Sun for us in particular. Though it wouldn't make the titan black hole like that in the center of the galaxy. But still, as we died we would see the vastness of space as we get ripped off the planet's surface and go out with the atmosphere that is doing simlar. Yeah, dpace is scary, but our Sun is at it's prime. It will be long from now that it dies, and if mankind is lucky, we'll be gone by then and it'll go supernova and our solar system would be replaced by one of the most beutiful things in space, a nebula. A supernova is not like how the movie discribes it. I'll go into it later.
@JT
Spoiler:
If a black hole has infinite mass, we wouldn't be here. It's gravational pull would be beond anything we could imagine and the universe would be in one black hole that would be unimgabely large.

View user profile

44 Re: The Science Thread on Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:07 am

JT_the_Ninja

Ninjafleet Captain
@Katls:

Spoiler:
My typo. I meant immense mass, zero volume. The more massive the black hole the further away the event horizon sphere, so yeah infinite mass is kinda impossible with a finite universe.

[]

45 Re: The Science Thread on Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:36 am

Tuomey

King Under The Bridge
"Are people bugged by Scientific inaccuracy in movies?"

I voted yes; I'm not bugged by speculative future technology or when it's a very minor error.
I am pretty annoyed when, say, an EMP causes cars to spontaneously explode for a while afterwards.
(Ok, so that's from a videogame but the point stands.)

Glaring errors like that make me want to go to Ikea, buy a table, buy some plates and glasses and cutlery and napkins, set it all up in my room and then flip it out the window so hard that the Gardaí think the IRA bombed my house.

View user profile

46 Re: The Science Thread on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:34 am

Gorgro

Glorious Leader
I've said yes too, but only if it's really ridiculous. I'm sure there's a sort of uncanny valley for science in movies too. Regular science is usually not explosive enough for frequent use in movies, messing with it a little bit like car explosions in action movies is acceptable, going all out with new substances and futury stuff is fine, but anything in between (I'm looking at you, '2012' and every movie revolving around hacking) bugs me so bad.

View user profile http://treehouse.justforum.net

47 Re: The Science Thread on Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:26 pm

Tuomey

King Under The Bridge
Anything with computers in it tends to get really really stupid.
I mean, computers can't make things or themselves explode like that.

(except that particular mac line that had a problem with the battery, but that was a hardware and software fault of the highest order.)

Die hard 4: I'm pretty sure you can't hack into gas lines and set them on fire.
Or pressure it up til it asplodes.
For one thing, there are probably like a whole bunch of mechanical cut offs to prevent that kind of shit.

View user profile

48 Re: The Science Thread on Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:17 pm

Ah, Movie hacking.
NCIS is fairly bad when it comes to computers.
Being hacked? No worries.Get TWO people on one keyboard trying to counter it. Doesn't work? That's alright, the boss will pull the plug on the computer.....screen. Well done. I'm sure that will stop them.

This one annoyed me most:
Oh noes! A Bomb is attached to this computer! Look, there's a countdown and everything on the screen! What do we do? Fuck it, just shoot the screen. That's where they keep all the important bits, right? Never mind there might be a bomb around here, shooting wildly will work.

View user profile

49 Re: The Science Thread on Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:23 pm

I like hacking when it comes to James Bond. Giant fucking satellite driven killing ray hooked up to a home computer setup? No probs.

View user profile

50 Re: The Science Thread on Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:24 am

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum