You are not connected. Please login or register

Video Games

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 5 of 40]

101 Re: Video Games on Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:00 am

Jonny

Prince of the Squirtle Squad
tacoline wrote:
Gorgro wrote:PC, i haven't had a console since PS1.

ok, well i know that portal is out for the pc. so is team fortress 2 and the half life series. also bioshock. any of those would be good games. i think that you would rly like portal, its a puzzle type of game where you have to move this block to the end point using the portal gun. tf 2 is a multyplayer shooting game. half life is a expansive storyline using guns and the gravity gun (XD u can pick up objects and toss em at enemies!). bioshock is somewhat similar.
the first three games i mentioned are available in a package called the orange box i think. and jonny knows more about these than i do.

Damn right I do. It is a symptom of having no job or friends.

Portal is excellent, and was given away free recently to celebrate it's release on Mac. It's a puzzler, although you probably know all about it so I'll stop here.
Half-Life is quite good though it's showing its age in terms of gameplay: compared to L4D it feels a little clunky. TF2 is brilliant and is always being updated all the time on PC for free!

Also, Portal 2 is coming out on PS3 with Steam Cloud support. I'm not sure what this entails, though.

View user profile

102 Re: Video Games on Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:17 am

Gorgro

Glorious Leader
If portal 2 doesn't come out on PC i will find out who made this horrible decision and personally kill his family and loved ones.

View user profile http://treehouse.justforum.net

103 Re: Video Games on Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:19 am

Jonny

It will do, don't worry. Valve have always focussed on PC though their ports are fine too. We got stiffed on Xbox though: they charge for the DLC and we don't have access to TF2 updates or user-created stuff.

View user profile

104 Re: Video Games on Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:30 am

@ Jonny: You say you get stiffed on Xbox, but in truth the PC gamers are the ones no one cares about. Insensitive bugger.

View user profile

105 Re: Video Games on Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:51 am

Gorgro

Glorious Leader
sludge wrote:the PC gamers are the ones no one cares about.

I've been thinking that too more and more lately. All the awesome games seem to be reserved for consoles while we get the same old stuff under a new name and with inexplicably worse controls. (Seriously, Bad Company 2 felt like it was pulled from PS3 to PC with no adjustments at all. Maybe you console gamers are used to crap aiming mechanics, but we damn well aren't.)

Also, Brutal Legend. I still can't understand why anyone thought a game like that was better suited to Xbox than PC.

106 Re: Video Games on Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:05 am

Jonny

We didn't start the flame war........

Okay, the key difference then seems to lie in Valve's games then. Also, the dual analogue configuration isn't bad. Strictly speaking Wii is better though I don't really play any shooters on it since I own at least six on 360 right now.

I think that there's more interest in consoles since there's an element of accessibility and ease of use that might not be associated with the PC, and you can market one specific product. Furthermore, you don't have to worry about compatibility issues or the game not working one day, and in most cases you have a physical copy of the game too which may be a plus or not.

However, the PC has an advantage in that you can modify it to your liking (and even build one from scratch) and can do far more with the games in terms of controls and customisation. So ultimately you need to go with your own preference.

View user profile

107 Re: Video Games on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:09 am

Well there are several determining factors in the changing face of games on Console and PC.

One is ease and accessibility,

Consoles in general are play-as-you-go in a sense. They are ready out of the box, you don't have to know how to use an operating system to play games, they are relatively low maintenance and you don't run the gambit of being "out of date" for hardware and software for games released for that console.

(IP is Intellectual Property)

For games released on each system? Well that is actually a complex system of licensing agreements and developing houses. You can put an FPS on the Wii, The Conduit is one such game. It hasn't fared to well but not because it is on the Wii, it was considered unimaginative and predictable. You had talk of "not wanting to downgrade" to the Wii but that was really just a mask for "I don't want to get into a licensing contract with Nintendo". Just about every game is doable on any another system with surprisingly few changes. Now developer houses want to make money so they make what they know. Nintendo makes Nintendo games, and in return those games make Nintendo a whole lot of money. They have something that they own that is successful in the marketplace right now. They are unlikely to branch of into other genres that are packed full of mature IPs like Halo and COD. Independent publishing houses like those for COD and Halo have huge binding and longstanding contracts that are needed to be upheld. In the case of COD, there may be a massive lawsuit involved because the CEOs of the dev house wanted to make a new IP. Or were trying to renegade off and go solo. Its a complex word of IP property rights.

Another force pushing games into the console market is Piracy and DRM.

(DRM is Digital Rights Management)

Short answer is that it is harder to Pirate a game on a console than on a PC. PC games have had large amounts of DRM dumped on them with much negative fanfare. Game developers know DRM is bad for business but they also know that having games ripped, copied and then downloaded hundreds of thousands of times is worse for business. With consoles they don't have to make the devil's choice. Piracy does cost the gaming industry money and it does nothing to help it. And when someone is getting copies of their without paying for it then you know they would do what they could to stop it. You can make an unpiratable game, its just nobody wants to do it it would be to inconvenient for customers. They are in the business to make games, but they are also in the business to make money. If an option comes along that allows them to make a product that is enjoyable for the customer and profitable for them then you know what the decision is going to be.

The differences pros/cons in PC vs Consoles are apparent and it is the games and the gamers who will lose if the trend for moving into consoles continues.

View user profile

108 Re: Video Games on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:28 am

Tuomey

King Under The Bridge
DRM is one of the reasons I don't game on PC.
I cannot afford to be constantly connected to the internet (usage charges) and CnC4, a game I was actually thinking of buying, needs you to be connected to EA's servers all the friggin time.
Tl;dr: DRM clogs meh tubes too much! Oh noes!

Also; crappy PC.

Annnnnnyway...
So, there's this big convention, E3.
Estoric Engines and Enigmas or whatever. (I joke.)
They have girls who are paid to stand there, attract guys to booths.
Gamesradar has pictures of them.
Almost all of them look really, really uncomfortable.
I mean... is this how the games industry really wants to present itself?
Seriously, I mean..

This.

Tl;dr: teh games industry looks like tehy thinks teh womenz are just there for teh sexin and it makes us all look realz bad

Last edited by Tuomey on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to underline and redden link. Codehobo must conform to accepted standards... but only in code.)

View user profile

109 Re: Video Games on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:00 pm

Gorgro

Glorious Leader
Penny Arcade

Comic on the "booth babe" issue.

More on the topic at hand, it's sad that we now have to be permanently monitored to play a game. There must be better ways to secure your game against copying. Even so, there are types of games that just have "PC" written all over them. (I'm still against FPS'es on consoles and i refuse to accept the Wii as a proper gaming platform until they lose the childlike or just bad graphics most of the games have, adapt the gameplay and somehow devise a way to make the controllers so accurate so that they actually feel like they're the best way to play the game.)
The day someone decides to market a WoW-style RPG or any RTS to consoles over PC is the day i go on a murderous rampage at the Sony headquarters. (Microsoft will be spared, for now.)

I have to add that consoles have their merits in games like God of War, Tekken or Guitar Hero. i played Prince of Persia and although it was playable, it still felt like it was better suited for a controller. Also, Guitar Hero for PC is just ridiculous, even for me.

110 Re: Video Games on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:06 pm

OK, when I saw one of those girls hold a model of a gun, I immediately tough;
"Hey, a PPD-40"

(was @ 2me's post)

View user profile

111 Re: Video Games on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:15 pm

Gorgro wrote:(I'm still against FPS'es on consoles and i refuse to accept the Wii as a proper gaming platform until they lose the childlike or just bad graphics most of the games have, adapt the gameplay and somehow devise a way to make the controllers so accurate so that they actually feel like they're the best way to play the game.)

You issue should be with the developers not the system itself. Childlike graphics or bad graphics come from who drew them. Same for controls.

View user profile

112 Re: Video Games on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:11 pm

All games originated from the PC, yet the PC is still neglected gamewise.....why not just add controller support for games like AC and GoW? And DRM isn't necessarily to prevent pirating, pirates can get past any DRM, it's to tie ONE customer to ONE product. I think I did this rant on the old forum actually >.>

View user profile

113 Re: Video Games on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:20 pm

Tuomey

King Under The Bridge
^ What Tesla Rambo Sludge Duck said.
DRM hasn't been succesful, ever.
Even AC2, which was DRMed to death on PC, was haxxored.

A lot of people are confused by PC gaming, too.
Let's be fair, most people get confused when you ask them what OS or web browser they use...
What chance do they have against things like graphics cards?

Like cracked said, an easier and universal rating system would be nice.
ie, if it has x on the back it will run on all computers that are >= x.
Or some similar.

View user profile

114 Re: Video Games on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:36 pm

sludge wrote: pirates can get past any DRM

You can make a unbeatable DRM.

Each psychical copy of a game only contains the "frame" of the game like levels and is shipped with a registration key. You then store the rest of the game files like characters, voice acting, audio ect. on a server. You then have to connect to the server to play the game. Piracy problem solved.

Of course you inconvenience the hell out of your customers and if you ever have issues with the internet or the server you would brick every game. But still no piracy! If you pirated a copy you wouldn't be able to play it. Or better yet get people tied into monthly fees, you could have the game for free if you wanted but if you want to play then get out the credit card if you want to subscribe to the servers!

Developers have the power to but they don't want to because they are in the business of selling games. If moving to the console will solve a lot of problems plaguing them then you know they will make the switch. Piracy is a big problem in the PC game world and a big turnoff for studios who hire real talent for real money who want to make a profit from a game. Look at World Of Goo the game has a 90% piracy rate. Pirates had the argument that they pirate because games "cost to much" or "were bad games" or "Had DRM on them so it was hard to play them". Word of Goo was none of that. It was a cheap, fun to play good game made by a small company that placed its faith in the gamer while having NO DRM . That game got pirated bad.

Piracy is people standing in glass houses throwing stones then getting mad a window breaks.

View user profile

115 Re: Video Games on Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:09 pm

JT_the_Ninja

Ninjafleet Captain
Btw, has anyone else seen the previews for MvC3?? Deadpool = win. []

View user profile http://www.jttheninja.com

116 Re: Video Games on Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:17 pm

JT_the_Ninja wrote:Btw, has anyone else seen the previews for MvC3?? Deadpool = win. []

Deadpool is always win.

View user profile

117 Re: Video Games on Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:20 pm

Deadpool is awesome, but The Hulk > Deadpool.

View user profile

118 Re: Video Games on Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:31 pm

JT_the_Ninja

Ninjafleet Captain
Deadpool can supposedly beat his opponent with his own health bar...he also can do a Shoryuken, as confirmed by gameplay videos. []

119 Re: Video Games on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:42 pm

I'm currently addicted to the Dead Frontier MMO.
Google it, I can't get a link.

View user profile

120 Re: Video Games on Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:30 pm

View user profile

121 Re: Video Games on Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:53 pm

HollyŠÉ¶

Dove in the Moonlight
Completely on top of any MvC news. They got a new trailer up, and at the end reveals the 12th character in the game. Quote from website:

Dormammu appears at the very end of this new Marvel vs. Capcom 3 trailer. This brings the confirmed MvC3 roster count to 12 characters, total.

How exciting is that! Strange Tales characters in MY MvC? It's more likely then you think. Also, nice to have more Doctor Strange characters coming in, especially a nemesis as cool as Dormammu! I think it's worthy to mention that Chris Redfield is in the game as well. :'D

Beautiful Trailer:

While we are on the subject of Superhero type games, does anyone else here play Ultimate Alliance?

Edit: Are we only allowed to post one video per post now, or is it just my computer?

View user profile

122 Re: Video Games on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:05 am

Tuomey

King Under The Bridge
COD:MW2.
The campaign is too short!
But it is good, so I'mma go play it on veteran in a while.

I'm having trouble in the Spec Ops though.
I keep getting killed by some absolute bastards who have some sort of magical landmine-protection field.
(I refuse to switch down from Veteran in the Spec Ops, at least until I get to the harder ones.)

View user profile

123 Re: Video Games on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:34 am

games I'm playing:
Mechwarrior 4(free)
Star Wars: KOTOR
Starcraft
A bit of Cortex Command
monster hunter tri
oh and of course LittleBigPlanet

View user profile

124 Re: Video Games on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:47 am

JT_the_Ninja

Ninjafleet Captain
@Icriex: What's your PSN name? I'm partial to some LBP myself. []

125 Re: Video Games on Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:27 am

Modern Warfare 2: Just got through a match with my brother. He started out with a 6 kill streak, assured of his victory. The game ended with me beating him by 3 kills.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 40]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum